on orders over $100
Pot Holder - Black
Hand knitted pot holder in a thick linen/cotton blend. Useful for hot oven trays, pots and dishes. Crafted by visually impaired artisans in Sweden.
7" x 8"
About the Maker
At the end of the nineteenth century, a small brush and broom workshop was started in Stockholm, Sweden. Every brush is handmade by visually impaired artisans combining centuries old handcraft traditions with modern design. Today Iris Hantverk makes beautiful household goods and accessories and still specializes in the handmade brooms and brushes. The bristles are made from a variety of natural materials such as horse hair (trimmed from the tail - no harm to the animal), goat hair (trimmed as well), tampico fiber (from the semi desert areas of northern Mexico) and piassava fiber. Each material is used for different types of brushes. The backs and handles of the brushes are made from birch, oak or beech wood. Each small group of bristles is carefully attached to a wooden handle by hand, creating a beautiful, timeless product.
• All of our goods are made by hand, mindfully designed, and made to last.
• We support independent designers and makers producing goods in small batch runs.
• We are conscious of our environmental impact and choose to support artisans who are using sustainable materials and production methods.
• Your package will be shipped in a re-used or 100% post-consumer recycled box with re-used or new sustainable packing material.
• We support ethical fair trade practices and transparency in origin, maker and materials used.
• We give 1% of sales to support arts in the community. Currently we are supporting Aid to Artisans.